This week I went to Mathare where I participated in the farewell lunch for the UFV students that were all going home. Besides me, there were 7 here this summer. In another week it will be just me. The lunch was held at their new community hub that they are building.
Currently Mathare Roots or Mto Wangu, (the organization that I am working with) rents the rooms they use and when they don't have funding, the leader has to pay for it out of his own pocket. I know it has to be a hardship for him. So the UFV students that were already here started a go fund me to raise $10, 000 to buy and build a new building for them. Those few students have managed to raise almost half the money already.
They proudly took me to the place where they are building. They already have the basement dug out (which they did by hand) and the walls erected. We had lunch on the floor above which is still partially open. They had recently poured the concrete beams and were waiting for it to cure. There is a lot of excitement about this building and how they will be able to have all their different operations under one roof.
The part of the story I didn't yet tell was that they were supposed to meet with me before the lunch, but showed up too late for that. Kind of classic. So our meeting got changed to a zoom meeting later in the week.
In that meeting, they told me all the things that I could be involved with to support them during my time here. If everything goes according to plan, I will be:
- submitting their innovative flood resilience plan for a contest
- supporting their girls soccer team in PR and to get sponsorship
- doing a campaign to help community members prepare for flooding which is supposed to be particularly bad this next spring
- doing some kind of community dialogue thing with the British Institute of East Africa that involves something around the history of flooding of the Mathare river


3 comments:
it does sound very discouraging. how can you get anything done that way?! passion fruit Gelato sounds like a good birthday celebration in my books.
❤️ Laura
Happy birthday, Kate. I miss you, especially at church.
Katie
Post a Comment