Friday, April 15, 2011

Conference Weekend at the Schofields...

Conference weekend was so uplifting and inspiring.  We all crowded in the study to watch it at home.  Due to the attractiveness of our traditions, even E wanted to participate.  I don't know why I insisted on going to church to watch it for so long.  It is just so much more comfortable to watch it at home.  I don't have to do my hair...(as you can see) get the girls up and ready...we can control the temperature or at least use blankets (why is the church ALWAYS freezing during conference?  to keep us awake?)  and if the girls have watched enough, they can leave and go play or have a nap.  Although this year, I think it was mainly E who didn't stay and watch everything.  So here we are...


One of our traditions is to have a little quiz for fhe the next day and everyone gets to ask questions.  This gets the girls keeping copious notes about tie colours and hymns sung.
One of my favourite talks was by Elder Cook about how lds women are incredible.  Of course that is when I look over at Brent and see this:
Why is it that he always falls asleep in these ones?!!  The flash of the camera woke him up and aside from that little bit of dozing he was awake for all of conference.  Which may not seem like anything, but he usually sleeps through most of the 2nd sessions on both days.  (he probably won't like me posting this)





One of our most popular traditions is making a list of words that we think will be said during the conference and if you hear one of the words, you get to dip into the goodie bowl.  The girls choose what treats they want us to get and we pick them up the night before.  Brent always picks really specific phrases that are unlikely to be used such as "provident living"  but ever since the first talk of a conference was on that exact topic, he has gloatingly added many such phrases.  This year he said "natural calamity" which was only said in one prayer and prayers don't count for getting candy.  But I doubt he will change his ways.
This is E's face as she asks me if she can have another candy.  The candy is really the only reason we saw her come around during those 4 hours.

6 comments:

Sarah-Lynn said...

Yes, why is it always freezing at the church during conference?! I love your family conference traditions, and I may copy you. Brent's hilarious under the pink zebra blanket and his stubborn specific phrases. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. Made me feel like I was there, and I wish I was!

eryn. said...

oh my goodness, elizabeth is so big and SO cute!

Laura said...

this was a great post. i laughed about the copious notes about tie colours and the pic of brent sleeping during the women are awesome talk. i also really liked elder oaks' talk and need to ponder it more. maybe we can read (i know i'll have to be the one reading) and discuss it on our road trip.

katie said...

Sarah, feel free to copy away. That's what we did--our traditions are not original.
Eryn, I didn't know you read my blog...
Laura, their notes are really detailed descriptions of everyone's ties. road trip! Yay!!! (although it looks like you've already tackled this one)

Anonymous said...

haha, I love the pics of Brent sleeping during the most important talk :) I love the candy tradition, might try that next time with our kiddos!

Anonymous said...

alright katie, i am starting to get that 'mad' feeling when every time i check your blog, it is an old post!!! get blogging girl!