Monday, January 16, 2006

running in the rain

my new mantra should be "i love running in the rain." i really do enjoy it but for some reason every time i face running in the rain i falter. today for example, i got already to go on my run and then brent got called to go to a meeting at dad's house. i knew i wouldn't have time when he came back to go which meant that if i did go on a run i would have to take natalie. then brent said he would take nat with him. as he left i saw that it was raining. "not very hard," he told me. still it became so much harder to get out the door. i was warm and cozy. i dragged my feet, staying inside as long as i could. brent took nat so i could run. i had to do it now. when i finally left the rain pelted me mercilessly and the wind buffeted me. i could feel each ice cold drop hit my legs and feet. just hurry and get this over with i told myself. but then as i run a change gradually takes place. as i warm up, the freezing rain and wind actually feel good--in a cool refreshing kind of way. i feel srong. i can conquer the elements. a little rain isn't going to keep me from running. i could run a marathon. dreams and goals fill my head and feel more tangible as i run. i could do a triathalon. i could run in a race and place well. i could defeat the laundry room. my hair no longer blows in the wind. it is too heavy and wet. i'm soaked. i know the reason i can't feel the rain hitting my legs anymore is because my skin is numb. but i keep running. i am a machine. i am woman. i am strong. nothing can stop me. i can accomplish anything.

No comments: